Hi! I’m Ally Laidlaw, a sophomore Art-Graphic Design major at St. Norbert College. My advisor is Prof. Shan Bryan-Hanson, and I’m projected to graduate on time in May of 2022.
photo courtesy of Andrew Schaut
As an artist and student, I recognize:
- Curiosity and process are instrumental to the success of anyone’s art. Part of process is combining and experimenting with different mediums to achieve desired effects.
- My art stems from my interest in people and community: as a fine artist, I am interested in exploring emotion and the human form, and as a designer, I seek to make information accessible to all people. I want to find ways to unify my fine art and graphic design.
- I am interested in learning about art history and researching pieces I find compelling. I hope to weave this background knowledge into the concepts I use in my work.
- I find inspiration in the work of Duane Michals, Rembrandt, Timothy Goodman, and Nirav Patel.
- I am interested in collaborating with others to create meaningful and communicative images and designs.
- My weaknesses are in painting, sculpture, and presenting to a group of people.
Some of these pieces are part of a series or booklet. Click any cover image to view the rest of its series or booklet as a PDF.
During my time at St. Norbert, I’ve attended and participated in several art-related activities. These include the following:
- attended 2018 Student Art Exhibit Awards (2018)
- attended 2019 Senior Show reception (2019)
- assisted mural painting with Shelby Rodeffer (2019)
- attended & viewed Fragments of the Acceleration (2020)
- worked as a gallery assistant (2020)
- worked as a print shop technician (2020)
- attended Negotiating Space gallery reception (2020)
Inventory of Art Classes
Completed and In-progress Courses:
- ART 115 History of Modern Art
- ART 205 Art, Technology, & Society – in progress as of spring 2020
- ART 130 Introduction to Design
- ART 131 Introduction to Studio Art – in progress as of spring 2020
- ART 134 Basic Drawing – satisfied by ART 103 Basic Drawing I at UW-Stevens Point
- ART 350 Computer Graphics – satisfied by DS 230 Advanced Computer Studio at Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design
- CD 200 Communication Design I – satisfied at Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design
- CD 202 Typography I – satisfied at Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design
- NASC 220 Patterns in Nature – satisfied at Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design
- ART 224 Digital Graphics – satisfied at UW-River Falls
Courses Still Needed:
- One of the following:
- ART 224 Introduction to Sculpture
- ART 230 Beginning Printmaking
- ART 240 Introductory Painting
- ART 280 Introduction to Photography and Digital Imaging
- ART 335 Advertising Design
- ART 460 Digital Studio
- ART 480 Advanced Studio
- ART 485 Design for the Web
- ART 499 Senior Art Capstone
- Any studio course at the 300 level or above